Monday, November 1, 2010

Would you Rather....and "Foods" to Avoid


My cute friend Brittney sent me this article that I really enjoyed.
I love the way he said this...think of it as a Would you Rather game:

Would you rather:
Enjoy foods that are simple and natural and wholesome, grown in fertile soil with clean water and air, and eaten fresh from the garden....
Or...would you rather they come from a box, tinted red with colors that come from crushed beetle shells, flavors intensified with monosodium glutamate, preservatives added to increase the shelf-life, trans-fats added by bubbling hydrogen gas through oils to keep the “food” from growing rancid?????

Really think about that..because that is the choice we face every time we go to put food into our mouths.

The author then goes on and shares a story about a lady who bought a McDonalds hamburger in 1996, and has kept it ever since...and guess what...it looks exactly the same as it did then. Wanna see it? HERE YOU GO!

He then gives a list of food additives to avoid. They are:


1. Aspartame (also known as NutraSweet or Equal). Yikes! How’s that for a misnomer?

2. Sulfites

3. Food colorants Blue #1 and Blue #2

4. BVO (Brominated Vegetable Oil)

5. Citrus Red #2

6. MSG (monosodium glutamate)

7. Red dye #3

8. Caffeine

9. Sodium nitrate

10. Yellow #6


There's obviously a lot more that are NOT GOOD. But that's a place to start. I'm sure we'll be adding to that list on this blog.


Read the "would you rather" paragraph at the top again and again. Eat Clean and REAL.

1 comment:

Aleena said...

Hi Jamie,
I am so glad that I ran across your blog! you have some great information on here and I want to give you a big "high five" about your milk post. When ever I tell people about milk they want to stone me, I am glad you put all the info together and I will be referring people here. And as you said that isn't even half of it but you have the best info compiled. I am so proud of you and your achievements you are a beautiful lady! Keep up the good work!