Sunday, November 28, 2010

Weekend Whole Wheat Pizza



Pizza was eaten before I could get a pic.



I am a picky pizza eater. My two favorite pizza shops in the whole entire world (minus the ones I will venture to on my next trip to Italy...in oh..10 years) are Westport Pizzaria in Westport, CT, and Penn Pizza, in Allentown, PA. If you are ever in those areas...stop and have yourself a slice. MMMmmmm, delicious. I miss the east coast for many reasons, pizza being a huge one of them. Nothin like it. Makes Dominoes, Little Ceasars, and Pizza Hut seem like moldy, fresh out of the trash pizza. SERIOUSLY. (Speaking of Dominoes...I read an article that will rile you up, and make you want to punch the governments face. I'll post it soon, so keep checkin back.)
Because we no longer can frequent our favorite pizza places, although this local pizza joint, 2 fat guys pizza, is our local favorite.....we make our own pizza....and it is WONDERFUL!

****I make this on the weekend because it counts as one of my treat meals! (The cheese is high in saturated fat. I LOVE mozzerella because it's lower in calories and fat and higher in protein per serving.)


Here's our family recipe.

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust (makes 2 large pizza crusts)

1 Tb dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1 Tb sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic salt
4 cups whole wheat flour (we grind our own)
1 tsp oregano
1 Tb olive oil

Mix yeast, sugar, salts, and warm water until yeast is dissolved. Add flour, oregano, and oil and stir until blended. (DO NOT KNEAD). Cover and let rise 1 hour. Flour hands and divide dough into 2 balls. Roll out 1 onto floured surface. Roll in sides to form crust. Place on pizza stone, poke holes with fork (a lot and not on the crust) and cook at 350 for 10 min. Raise oven temp to 400, add desired toppings, and cook until cheese is bubbly and slightly brown.
For crispier crusts, cook directly on rack and not on pizza stone.

Pizzas Pictured:
Plain cheese
Leftover turkey, cheese, and green pepper.
**for the sauce--I use my own bottled spaghetti sauce.

2 comments:

Brittney said...

looks really good! Whenever i try to make pizza crust the very middle turns out doughy, but cooking it a little before putting the toppings on sounds GENIUS!

The Ottosen Family said...

Jamie, Your pizza looks delicious! I'm curious as to where you get your Wheat to grind and also Milk for your kids? I'm looking into Winder Farms, but they claim organic, grass fed, no hormones/antibiotics, but it says in "most" products and doesn't clearly state it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Natalie