Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Trends: Organic, Conventional, & Farmers Markets

Up until today I had a whole different opinion on eating organic. It wasn't necessarily a bad opinion, but an uninformed one, really. Up until the 20th century our agricultural HISTORY has really been an organic one. It hasn't been until the last 50 years or so that chemicals and science have really come around to form what we now call "conventional" farming. So in my former opinion, I considered eating "organic" a huge trend. One that I was not that in to. However, now I would consider this so called “conventional” method the trend...one that I'm really really not that in to. I guess one reason I had such a hard time eating organically was because the prices of fruits and vegetables are so much more expensive. Why are they? Studies have shown that organic farms have a 91% yield compared to conventional farms. That doesn't seem to me a big enough difference to charge 40% more for organic produce. But there is a supply and demand issue, and also that it simply costs more to run an organic farm.

My approach to eating organic has really been more of a focus on choosing natural foods. And actually a lot of those kinds of foods...just so happen to be organic too. A bonus! I have not been purchasing organic fruits and vegetables, because of the price. And because fruits and veggies are a large chunk of what I eat everyday, it makes a big difference. Buying organic is something I'm going to consider, only because it makes sense to me. If given a choice between 2 apples- one with a label that read: genetically modified, fertilized, treated with pesticides and other chemicals. And then the other apple that has no label other than the farm it came from…well, you know what one I would choose. Who wouldn't really?
Here’s a great link with FAQs about the term “organic”.

On my Good/Better/Best rating system, I would say this: Eating Fruits and Veggies=GOOD. Eating Organic Fruits & Veggies=BETTER. Growing your own or buying from a local organic farmer=BEST.
The subject of organic vs conventional is definitely a subject I want to further explore.
For now, I really want to talk about another trend that I’m absolutely loving…..Farmers Markets. Why do I love them so much?
Is it because simply saying….”Im going to the market” sounds so much cuter than…“I’m going to the grocery store”??
Or is it because going to a farmers market while carrying a linen-lined basket is so much more appealing than pushing around a cold, metal cart with squeaky wheels?
Or is it because shopping at a farmers market where local farmers and vendors have come together to bring their crops and their home-baked goods, and then in turn purchasing from these people really ties and connects me to my community? And maybe it’s even deeper than that. It’s in our roots. Maybe not our grandparents, but our great-grandparents probably went to market with all their farmed goods, and so maybe that’s also where I find my connection…to my ancestors.
Either way, like I said, I am loving farmers markets.
There’s 2 specific markets that I think about when I say the actual words: farmers markets.
The first one was not what you would call a beautiful market, by any means. Someone driving by that did not know what was going on would wonder what the heck all these people were doing at this run down building, until they then would see the large sign that read: Allentown Farmers Market. Would that make them stop? Maybe. But to those of us that knew the true gem that was found inside this run down building???? We had discovered the real treasure. Oh my goodness, I remember the smells of the freshly baked pies, cookies, and cakes that the Amish would bring in. And the freshly baked bread from local bakeries. Real New York Pizza being served at a little bar. Fresh flowers and local farmers with their tree-ripened fruits and just picked veggies. Even a cute old man who had been repairing vacuums there for years and years. If only I had discovered this gem sooner when I lived in Allentown, PA. It was only blocks away from my home, and the market ran from Thursday to Saturday. I would buy an angel food cake from the Amish every weekend. Sometimes on Thursday AND Saturday!







The next farmers market that comes to my mind is one that was more beautiful than heaven itself. Let me just paint a little picture in your head. In 2002 I visited a city called Lake Lucerne, Switzerland. According to my journal, this is where my honeymoon would take me. (that didn’t happen) Lake Lucerne is poetically described by Alexandre Dumas as “a pearl in the world’s most beautiful oyster”. Lucerne is a magical, medieval yet modern city. Its profile faces the famous Lake Lucerne, and then the striking view of the Alps surround it. Lucerne was a fishing village in the Middle Ages and a modest settlement that soon became an important trading center for goods. The city was founded in 1178.



It just so happens that during the few days I was there, the Saturday farmers market was going on along the river Reuss. It also helps that you crossed two charming bridges and a beautiful octagonal water tower that you will see featured in most pictures of Lake Lucerne. I can’t describe how beautiful this market was without actually taking you there. There were a lot of tourists visiting the market, but it mostly consisted of villagers coming to socialize and sell their goods. There were flowers everywhere. And these people were buying them by the dozen. I honestly think that every paying customer had a bushel of flowers in hand, either to give to a lover or friend, but probably to take home to adorn and beautify their table. (a dream of mine to have weekly fresh flowers) There were freshly baked warm breads and very colorful fruits and vegetables. Yes, there were even goats with bells around their necks, and swiss flags. Of course, I remember a cute guy with a heavy French accent handing me a yellow rose and telling me to enjoy my day. (maybe that adds a bit to my experience!) So here I was….alone, far away from home, in a charming foreign village toting along my beautifully fragrant yellow swiss long-stemmed rose, watching, strolling, and taking in this incredible open-air (fresh Alps air, might I add) farmers market. Ahhhhhh…my happy place. I could cry just remembering it. I hope I get to go back one day…..just to experience this market all over again! Only this time, it will be my husband buying me a whole bunch of beautiful flowers “just because”.
That euphoric experience has left a great memory and is probably a big reason why I associate such great feelings with farmers markets.

There obviously is something special about farmers markets. Not only do people come to enjoy their community and engage in social interaction with local farmers, small businesses, and families. But some come just to walk the markets. (When’s the last time you went to the grocery store just to walk and look and enjoy the place?...people back east who live near a Wegmans, do not answer that question, you’re an elite few)
I think I’m going to go buy me a farmers market dress, and carry around a linen-lined basket, and start buying local, fresh, and in-season foods straight from the place I live. And when I leave to go there, I will say to my husband….”honey, I’m going to the market!” Or maybe I won’t, because my whole family will be coming with me…so instead I’ll say: “Come on children, let’s go to the market” and they will all scream with excitement!!
I’d love to hear about your favorite farmers markets!

No comments: