Monday, October 25, 2010

A Clean Recipe & Somewhere to start

Let me just start out by saying that I read something a couple years ago that completely devastated me. Like it makes me want to cry...that's how bad. It has haunted me ever since. But I can't talk about it yet...I'm just getting out a little warning. Because I'm going to post something in a couple days that might make you pretty upset or angry at the world. At least it did to me. And I am just now finally starting to make the change. (no, I'm not vegan) But like I said, this blog is to get information out there that you might not be aware of and to help educate America on the status of food in it's country. That's all I'm going to say...so stay tuned. I'm working myself up to posting it.
On a lighter note! I have a nummy recipe to share! And some pictures, because I am a visual person when it comes to recipes. But, I do need to preface it with: I NEED A NEW CAMERA. And some tips from my cute sister! Seriously though, I almost never try a recipe unless I see a picture of it first! So here's my amateur pics, and a delicious nutritious recipe!












Protein pancakes: (Servings 2, 2 pancakes each)


1/2 cup oats

1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese

2 egg whites

1-2 Tbs cinnamon (I LOVE cinnamon, and it's sooooo good for you, so I add 3)

1-2 teas vanilla

optional: I add a 1/2 serving of protein powder


Blend together. (magic bullet or blender) Cook low and slow. I like my pancakes dry, not ooey and gooey, so I cook mine on a low setting for about 10-15 minutes.


These are so delicious. My favorite way to top these are with sliced bananas & sliced almonds, and fresh berries drizzled with 100% pure maple syrup. (from costco)





If you are wanting to start out eating better heres some tips. Take it slow. Things are going to taste different, and you can't just go and throw out everything in your pantry and start from scratch (unless you really want to). But be realistic. I am still making small changes here and there. That's why I'm calling it a journey. We are lucky though because the world is starting to notice the crap that's out there, and people are responding and companies are forming to bring us wonderful all natural and pure real foods. Costco is really joining this band-wagon too, and I love it. Maybe I'll do a costco post about all the things I now can find at costco that I buy!!

Start label reading. Don't buy something if you dont know whats in it. Stick with the basics. Simplify your meals. Lots of lean proteins, veggies, and fruits. Avoid sugar...seriously it's the devil.


One food item to switch: Peanut Butter.
The ingredients in my new Organic Creamy PB (Kirkland brand...love it) include: Dry Roasted Organic Peanuts and salt.
Check out the ingredients in your other PB...the devil is added to it.
You may need to stir the organic kind...but it's so much better for you.

5 comments:

Brittney said...

what flavor protein powder do you use?

Jamie said...

hi Britt! I use vanilla. We buy ours from Costco, the big bag for $30. I love it.

Julie said...

This is the best alternate way to have pancakes!!! Even my kids love them!

Lombardo Family said...

Hi! I'm julie's neighbor. So happy to have a blog where I can get yummy recipes. So, I have to ask, is the book you read "The china study"? Anxious to know what it was you read because the China study changed my life! I felt so happy yet angry at all the things we've been lied to about regarding food. Ugh. Anyway, thanks for creating a great blog.

Melissa

The Neilson Family said...

Jamie,
I totally agree with the Peanut Butter. I think there are a few must have organics that you should buy if you can't go totally organic. Loving the blog!