Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Crockpot Oatmeal




Mmmm....tried this recipe this morning, delicious....and that's sayin something because I'm not a huge fan of cooked oats.

The great thing about this too: You make it the night before, so breakfast is ready when you wake up!

CROCKPOT OATMEAL (made enough for me, husband, & two kids)

1 cup steel cut oats **


2 cups water


2 1/2 cups milk


1 tsp cinnamon


Combine and stir in crockpot. Cook on low for 8-9 hours.


Top with honey, pure maple syrup, nuts, raisins, or fruit. I added honey to mine this morning, it was so good!


** It is key to use steel cut oats. They are the least processed of all different kinds of oats. (rolled oats go through a steaming process) If you use regular oats, you will get a soupy mush cooked to oblivion. Also a little warning, steel cut oats are more pricey. I plan on using them just for this crockpot recipe. But, I really really liked them...so to me...it was worth it. I will, however, keep looking for a better, more affordable way to continue purchasing them.

1 comment:

Hamrsark said...

Do you know what the difference between Steel Cut Oatmeal and Groats would be?